Signed in as:
Signed in as:
"As early as 1796 a school was opened at West Bloomfield, and before 1812 the enterprising inhabitants of the town founded an academy. Prior to 1800 a school was started at Millers Corners and in 1812 a school-house was erected. Other early schools were District No. 7, also No. 8, and elsewhere in the town ... According to the present arrangement, the territory of the town is divided into nine school districts, only one of which (No 8) has no school building. In 1892 the number of children of school age was 407, to instruct whom fourteen teachers were employed a tan expense during the year of $2,521.50. The amount of monies received for school purposes was $3,354.53." History of Ontario County, pg. 450,
The olden time schoolhouse stood near where A.G. GATES resides, and although built of logs, and of little value, yet its existence is associated with some of the most pleasing events of life. Among the teachers in the old structure but one is recalled, and of Dr. GRIFFIN we have only learned the name. What matters, since he has passed away, and all who knew him? Thousands of teachers are thus forgotten, and only remembrances of their pupils is the brief mention of their inheritance of the old farms reclaimed from the forest, and brought to bloom and blossom as a garden.
District No. 3 contains a nucleus of settlement designated as Miller's Corners. Previous to 1800, classes were held in MILLER's barn. The FRENCH sisters, Clara, Sarah and Louisa were among the early teachers. A hewn-log schoolhouse was erected in 1812 and Olive HAMLIN was the first school-mistress therein.
The History of Ontario County noted District District No. 3 as the only stone school building.
The primitive schoolhouse was of the un-hewn timber cast, and stood on the corner near the house of S.W. DIXON. Among the names of former teachers are enumerate those of Mary HICKCOX, Clara FRENCH, Laura FRENCH, Otis THOMPSON and G. CLARK. The old structure became the prey of the devouring element in 1810, at which time Eleazer KNICKERBOCKER was the school-master in charge. A brick house was then put up in its place. Benjamin ALGER was an early settler near his brothers.
East of Shepard's pond, stood the pioneer school house of the locality.
The pioneer schoolhouse was erected about 1796, and was in use also for meetings of religious societies. It was much the superior of buildings erected at that time, and creditable to the builders. At a later period the growth of population required increased accommodations, and it was replaced by a brick structure, which was termed the "Academy." This building was erected prior to the war of 1812. The Rev. WOOLEDGE came to the village in 1821, and started an academical department in the house, and continued as the principal for several years.
Copyright © 2018 WB Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
8966 NY-5 West Bloomfield NY