Signed in as:
Signed in as:
This region of NY State was first occupied by the Seneca Tribe of the Iroquois Nation, who had extensive camping grounds in what is now West Bloomfield. The town’s earliest settlers mainly emigrated from New England and arrived between 1789 and the early 1800s. The settlers bought land from the Phelps and Gorham Purchase or received a grant of land from the U. S. government for their service in the Revolutionary War.
Col. Peregrine Gardner
Gen. Amos Hall
Nathan and Ezra Marvin
Capt. Robert Taft
Hamlet of Ionia
(Previously called Millers Corners and Taylorsville)
Hamlet of North Bloomfield
(Previously called Smith’s Mills and Smithtown)
Churches in small communities not only offer spiritual guidance for its members, but share in the communities’ activities, bringing unison to its inhabitants. In West Bloomfield, two churches remain. The West Bloomfield Congregational Church and the Ionia United Methodist Church have both been in this community since the early 1800s or before. Previously, the First Universalist Church of Lima which was located on Martin Road in North Bloomfield and St. Joseph's Catholic Church were active churches in this community. St. Josephs was the second church occupying this building.
These churches provided services, speakers, theatrical and music performances, dinners and activities that engaged both their own church members and the communities around them. They were an important part of life before television and the internet.
History of Ontario County NY
With Illustrations and Family Sketches of some of the prominent Men and Families
Edited by : George S. Conover
Complied by : Lewis Cass Aldrich
Town of West Bloomfield History
History of Ontario Co, NY
Pub 1878 pg 216 - 219, 221
Transcribed by Dianne Thomas
Copyright © 2018 WB Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
8966 NY-5 West Bloomfield NY