The dwelling was built by, or for, Watrous Peck (1777-1862) in 1803. Watrous was a direct, sixth-generation descendant of William Peck (1601-1694).
The house, circa 1820, is illustrated on the 1859 hanging map of Ontario County and was more recently one of the homes illustrated in "The Victorian Era of the United States"
"..it is an old house but we are not really sure of the date it was built.... in 1976 we remodeled and found glued to the cracks of the planks, (walls) newspapers dated 1815.
The actual settlement of West Bloomfield began when Peregrine Gardner came and built a house on the old Indian Trail, now 5&20 near this residence.
This large Queen Anne farm house was built in 1901.
It was the first prefabricated building to be erected on Route 5&20. it was purchased from the Gordon-Van Tine Company in Davenport, Iowa.
Built in 1823 as a house of worship on the corner lot of Rt. 65. About 1848, it was moved to its current location on Rt. 5 and 20.
Built in 1894 for James Elton and his Wife Mary as a wedding present from her father.
Stephen and Lydia Hendee operated as a store. In 1867 it was sold to Charles and Hannah Hendee. Fire burned original house in 1891.
Built in 1876 by Stephen H. Ainsworth as a gift to his daughter Isabella and her husband R.M. Peck.
Built circa 1835 by John Dickson, a lawyer in West Bloomfield, and a member of the 22nd and 23rd United States Congress (1831-1835).
This is a very early home. It originally was owned by the Taft family. It is built of bricks.
This house was built on or before 1804. It is of bricks that were made, formed and cured in the yard. It was built as a stage coach stop and called the Johnson's Tavern
This was the site of Alvin Wilcox pottery. The Wilcox family moved here from New England in 1781.
A tavern once stood here and the present residence is a part of the old hotel. Henry and Harriet Humphrey Hewitt purchased this home in the late 1890's and Carrie Hewitt was still living here at age 98.
The wooden rear part of the house was built before sawmills existed. The 2x4s were hewn out and the beams were also hewn.
The brick part of the house was built by Reverend Silas Brown in 1828 and this house remained in the Brown family for many years.
1841 portion of house completed for Warren Pierpont. 1937 Joseph and Dora Taylor.
Locust Lawn Restaurant, Strong Road - circa 1950
Millers Corners (Ionia) Cobblestone School at 2138 Elton Road built in 1850, used until 1902 when the rear wall fell in.
Upper & Lower Stores at the Ionia 4-corners, circa 1902
Millers Corners (Ionia) Methodist Church, Elton Road, built in 1840
Peanut Line Train tracks passing through the Ionia 4-corners, looking west, 1908
Triangle Building at the Ionia 4-corners, built in 1878 and used until it burned down in 1917 when a spark from a passing train ignited the building!
Martin Road School. Built as a Universalist Church in 1829, this building was first used as a schoolroom in 1842. Classes were taught here until 1949.
The first mill in North Bloomfield was built circa 1794. Others followed and the hamlet became a center of commerce in the 1800s. Pictured here is the Neel Brothers and Brooks Paper Mill.
Copyright © 2018 WB Historical Society - All Rights Reserved.
8966 NY-5 West Bloomfield NY